Did you know Kara taught Becky everything she knows about cooking? Well, maybe not everything. But they cooked together regularly before Becky moved to Montréal, and now they inspire each other long distance to become better cooks—while remaining lazy cooks at heart. Hear them talk recipes, fave dishes, cooking techniques, and aspirations for their culinary futures.
This is the second part of our episode about Kara’s journey as a transgender woman. Kara answers anonymous, listener-submitted questions, along with questions from Becky.
Questions and times:
- Any new hobbies since coming out? (1:15)
- Any role models/icons who inspired you with your transition? (5:15)
- Is there something you wish you knew before transitioning? (9:15)
- Did anyone cut you out of their life? (11:50)
- Has the way you’ve thought about things changed? (15:30)
- How do you speak about your past/how do you refer to yourself? (19:05)
- How can people support me? (23:35)
- What aspects of yourself are the most masculine? (27:33)
- Is there any part of your past self that you miss? (28:48)
One year ago (February 28, 2020), Kara came out as transgender. In this vulnerable, open conversation, Kara reflects on what this has meant for her, and Kara and Becky together discuss how it has affected their friendship—for the better.
This is part 1 of 2. In part 2, Kara will answer your listener questions about her transition!
Let’s get vulnerable. Kara and Becky have both been, and are both going to therapy—not with each other, of course, but on their own. In this episode, you’ll hear about why they sought a therapist, how they found their current therapists, and even what they discuss with their therapists. At the end of the day, our mental health is just as important as our physical health.
Don’t let the intro fool you; this episode is in English! But it’s all about Netflix’s Emily in Paris. Kara and Becky discuss what they loved about this show, along with their hopes for season 2.
Correction: About 6 minutes in, Kara mistakenly refers to Emily’s actor as “Lily James” when, in fact, she is portrayed by Lily Collins. Oops!
In the second part of this episode about social media and the documentary The Social Dilemma, Kara and Becky discuss their own approaches to social media use. They also muse on whether or not we can fix or change social media to make it better.
Kara and Becky bring you a two-part episode about social media. Inspired by recently watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix, they discuss how social media networks influence us. We talk about the algorithm, the dopamine, and the screen time—lots of stuff you already know, and maybe stuff you didn’t.
Here’s the article about the coronavirus hoaxes spread on Facebook Becky mentions in the episode.
Kara and Becky revisit the topic of adulting, which they first discussed back in episode 9. In the year and a half that has elapsed, Kara broke her elbow and realized she’s trans, and Becky has had some new roommates. Both have embarked on projects to improve their living spaces too.
Check out Becky’s blog post about part of her sprucing up of her terrasse!
Makeup. A lot of us wear it! Becky has worn it for years, but with the pandemic upon us, she is wearing it less often. Kara, on the other hand, had almost never worn makeup until last February. Listen to a cis woman and a trans woman discuss their respective personal journeys with makeup.
Note: Kara would like you to know that she has improved significantly at eyeliner since recording this episode.
That’s right, Kara and Becky are back at it again with another recommendations episode! Hear Becky drop some psychology knowledge as she explains why 2 personality tests are her favourites right now. Then get yourself some culture through the TV shows, books, and music we’re loving. Finally, both Kara and Becky independently decided to recommend self-care tips!
Things recommended in this episode:
- 16 Personalities Test
- The Four Tendencies Quiz by Gretchen Rubin
- TV shows: Good Girls, Younger, Love on the Spectrum
- Books: Of Human Bondage, Unacceptable, and The Story Graph website.
- Music: “WAP” by Cardi B feat. Megan Thee Stallion, “Levitating” by Dua Lipa feat. Madonna and Missy Elliott, Taylor Swift’s folklore
- Self-care: cook good meals and take time to exist without a to-do list
Kara has new book reviews website! https://kara.reviews/